- 1 whole chicken (preferably free range or organic)
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 3 celery stalks, washed and cut into 4
- 1 large carrot, washed or peeled, quartered
- 1 fennel bulb, washed and quartered
- a handful of parsley stalks
- 4 bay leaves
- a few sprigs of thyme
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 tbsp black pepper corns
- 1 tbsp coarse sea salt
It is dead easy.
The carrots here are hiding at the bottom. You'll just have to take my word for it.
- put the chicken in a cooking pot, large enough to contain all ingredients plus water
- arrange all other ingredients around and over the chicken
- cover with cold water
- bring to the boil
- turn down the heat, and let it simmer ! for about 1 hour.
- take the chicken out of the stock straight away and transfer to a plate or shallow dish.
- Drain the stock through a colander and use it for soups, sauces, gravy...The vegetables are for the chooks.
- Pick the meat off the bones while still hot/warm. It'll come off easier than when it is cold.
Discard of the bones. Bin or compost.
And there you have it. Simple and doesn't take a lot of effort. You'll get quite a few meals out of this.