La Chatte Gitane (or The Gypsy Cat) was the name we chose for our cottage in France at the time. We chose it while on the road, moving house the first time round, from Ireland to France with 2 dogs and 7 cats in the car.
This blog began its insignificant life as a recipe book for friends and family who would ask me repeatedly for a recipe of this, that and the other.
Since then it has taken many different directions, like we did and like gypsies tend to do. Sometimes making a U-turn and revisiting familiar roads and taking a break when necessary.
You'll find recipes here, but also musings about the places we've called home, the gardens that we've established, not always successfully, the homes we've improved and the environments we've lived in. Currently, after yet another stint in Ireland, we're back in France @ Le Mas d'Ayen

Tuesday, December 01, 2015

Repurposing

I don't like to throw things away. Mind you, I'm not a hoarder, even though people with minimalist tendencies might be of a different opinion.
This old radio was in my fathers workshop. He used to repair radios and televisions, along with other electrical goods. He had a few of these. My guess is that people used to give him their old stuff when they got in the new. My dad passed away about 12 years ago and my mum moved house 5 or 6 years later. That's when I acquired this beautiful specimen and even though it didn't work anymore, I kept it and moved house and country with it.
It has been in the shed since moving here 2.5 years ago. But I finally got Bert to bring it to the house and asked him if we could make it into a light feature.
He obviously had to think about it some. Then this weekend he installed LED lights on either side of the display. The speaker came out and - for now - we just put a small glass table lamp in there.

I like it already. It needs some beeswax and the display needs a good clean.


The display is quite something else. I wonder if one could really receive Radio Cairo or Radio Bucuresti ? 

It gives me joy and reminds me of my father, sitting in his workshop, tinkering away at a TV. I can almost smell the solder he used to melt.

Patricia xxx...x

17 comments:

  1. How lovely to have this reminder of your father in daily use. I didn't realise just how large it was from the first photograph. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that radio would have been able to have picked up all of those radio stations. I often think that today's radios are very poor replacements for those of my childhood, when I would sit for hours tuning in to the various foreign radio stations.
    Nice piece of furniture and memento to remind you of your father.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing, isn't it ? I can still remember the warm sound coming out of the speakers of these old wooden boxes.

      Delete
  3. That's brilliant! What a great use of something that is redundant now. I love that display wouldn't it be great if we could still tune in.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. uw pa zou fier geweest zijn!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a lovely piece full of memories for you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memories galore ! I attach myself to things that have history or sentimental value.

      Delete
  6. That is lovely :-)

    You could also hide a little radio behind it and really confuse people!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4:54 pm

    Absolutely brill idea.
    My Dad used to work for Cossor back in the fifties. I loved the wireless.
    Who remembers listen with mother?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say I do as I grew up in Belgium. But I just googles it and it seems like it was great.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous11:53 am

      I do apologize, I know this as I have read back and enjoy reading here.
      I should have mentioned that Cossor were a company that made radio's back in the 50s, by then using bakelite cases in place of wood. A mistake as far as tone was concerned, to my mind.

      Delete
    3. Don't apologize ! :-) I now know something more than before. I'm always happy to pick up more information about anything and everything. So I should say thank you. xxx...x

      Delete
  8. I LOVE THIS!!!!! what a cool idea. I may have to steal this idea for something else... love it. And love your blog, I have only just this week found it. Am going to try and read your back posts!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...