La Chatte Gitane (or The Gypsy Cat) was the name we chose for our cottage in France at the time. We chose it while on the road, moving house the first time round, from Ireland to France with 2 dogs and 7 cats in the car.
This blog began its insignificant life as a recipe book for friends and family who would ask me repeatedly for a recipe of this, that and the other.
Since then it has taken many different directions, like we did and like gypsies tend to do. Sometimes making a U-turn and revisiting familiar roads and taking a break when necessary.
You'll find recipes here, but also musings about the places we've called home, the gardens that we've established, not always successfully, the homes we've improved and the environments we've lived in. Currently, after yet another stint in Ireland, we're back in France @ Le Mas d'Ayen

Monday, October 10, 2016

A Girl's Gotta Do What a Girl's Gotta Do.


 That girl was me (old hag more like). And what did I do ?

This.


The kitchen counter tops look (almost) like new again.

A good clean and scrub, before I oiled the wood. It is something that should be done twice a year, but we've let one year slip by.  It was high time.

We use Woca Oil from Denmark and it works very well.  So far we've had no stubborn stains from normal (and more intense) kitchen use. 

Since our worktop is Douglas fir and I don't want it to turn yellow or orange I use the white oil, which gives a nice patina.

The weather was fabulous and I worked with doors and windows open.

The dogs enjoying the late afternoon sunshine. Millie had been lying most of the day on that spot, looking, relaxing and sleeping. I say 'most of the day' because she had a break when Bert took them out for a stroll over the land.

And that was my weekend. Now I can look forward to a relaxing week ahead ;-)

Patricia xxx...x

12 comments:

  1. I love that empty bench!!! I hate the clutter on mine. Good job done! Oiled wood. Sounds classu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This empty worktop is not its normal state. I also have lots of stuff on mine when it's not being oiled and drying. :)

      Delete
  2. I have kitchen worktop envy, beautiful kitchen and view x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The view is this kitchen's best asset. If only the windows were self-cleaning. :)

      Delete
  3. Your dogs know a good view and when to appreciate it!

    Looks like hard work to oil those tops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure do !

      The oiling is nothing. It's the clearing and cleaning beforehand that takes all the effort. Haha!

      Delete
  4. I love a nice piece of wood! Oiling that worktop must be very satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's very satisfying when you step back and it's all freshly oiled isn't it, but I hate emptying everything off to do it. We do need to do around our sink every six months the splashes of washing the pots make it vital ... but I think I'd splash even more if I was distracted by a view like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm curious! Does the white oil make the wood appear whiter, or just prevent it from yellowing? We have beech butcher block counters, installed about 6 months ago, and they are turning yellower than I would like. I was just looking at the Woca White worktop oil wondering if that might solve this problem. Curious how you find it! Lovely kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there ! Thanks for popping in.
      This Woca white oil does make the wood appear whiter, but more like a bleached effect, if that makes sense.
      Our worktop is Douglas fir and I know from experience it turns an awful yellowy orange which I abhor. Beech is a much denser wood and doesn't have all the markings of the fir that we have. The 'look' will be different.
      I would suggest you try it out in an inconspicuous corner or a leftover piece from your counters if you have any.
      The strangest thing is, where I have my chopping board (always in the same spot) the worktop turns more yellow than where the work surface is always exposed to the light.

      All in all, I am very pleased with this oil. As I said in my post it gives a lovely patina. And it is very easy to keep clean. Admittedly, I don't use harsh or abrasive cleaning products, only eco-friendly ones. x

      Delete
  7. Wanted to add - that is really quite a dreamy view!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, it is quite difficult to get things done around here. Much rather sit and look out through the window. x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...