La Chatte Gitane (or The Gypsy Cat) was the name we chose for our cottage in France at the time. We chose it while on the road, moving house the first time round, from Ireland to France with 2 dogs and 7 cats in the car.
This blog began its insignificant life as a recipe book for friends and family who would ask me repeatedly for a recipe of this, that and the other.
Since then it has taken many different directions, like we did and like gypsies tend to do. Sometimes making a U-turn and revisiting familiar roads and taking a break when necessary.
You'll find recipes here, but also musings about the places we've called home, the gardens that we've established, not always successfully, the homes we've improved and the environments we've lived in. Currently, after yet another stint in Ireland, we're back in France @ Le Mas d'Ayen

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

What I've Sown.

I'd go and have a look at my sown seeds every 5 minutes, if you let me. Last week, on Wednesday the 9th, I did the tomatoes and peppers. I saved the heated propagator for them and they love it.
I thought with the climate in general and sometimes miserable summers we get that small fruited varieties would do better as they don't need so long to 'grow up and mature' or ripen.
Tomatoes
Red Robin A miniature bush variety only 30 cm high. Ideal for pots and hanging baskets.
Black Cherry Produces large number of dark skinned fruit. Very good flavour.
Mirabelle Blanche Long trusses of small  pale yellow fruit, with a very sweet taste.
Orange Bourgoin Small plum sized fruit. Delicious, sweet and juicy, bright orange.



The tomatoes had already germinated by Sunday morning.



Today, they already look strong and fresh. 

The peppers are just about to pop.
Peppers and chillies
Lunchbox Orange Beautiful, mini-sized, colourful snack peppers. Sweet and flavourfull. Tall strong plants yield well.
Lipstick These 10 cm long (yes, they are bigger, but couldn't help myself), heart-shaped peppers are delicious in salads and great for roasting.
Hungarian Wax Starts sweet, getting hotter and redder as it matures. Small plants, ideal for cloches.
Early Jalapeno A very hot, small, blunt fruited chilli, indispensable in Mexican cooking.


Below I have the squashes, pumpkins and courgettes. Also some broad beans. Nothing happening there yet. Once there is movement, I'll post my detailed list. 




 On to the next lot...

PS
And then I wanted to show you what I dug out of the raised beds last week. I had thought everything would have rotted away during the winter, but no, a nice little harvest.



Slugs have nibbled here and there, but the majority was in good nick.

Patricia xxx...x



3 comments:

  1. They came up quickly, What a beautiful view from your greenhouse x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a similar haul from my garden when I dug it over last weekend! I am gonna wait a few more weeks till I sow seeds will germinate but then it is not warm enough to plant anything out ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...