Call it what ye will. I needed to use up eggs !
We're obviously not keeping up with our chickens. They are laying more eggs than we are prepared to eat on a daily basis. While I try to come up with a recipe that uses a hundred eggs in one go, they keep on accumulating in the pantry.
Sunday was the day I hard boiled fifteen eggs to use in an egg mayonnaise - salad type of thing.
But I also wanted to make something that would do as dinner. Not too much fuss as I was still in the grips of a flu. With the feeling of a boa constrictor squeezing the bejeesus out of my chest, the only thing I wanted to do was lay down and play dead.
Unfortunately my appetite never dies so I set to work. Cooked everything in the oven.
Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan assisted)
Line a roasting tin with baking paper (my tin is 21 x 36 cm)
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced into 0.5 cm disks
- 3 medium sized sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 0.5 cm disks
- olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Provençale or Italian dried herbs
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Put the potatoes, oil, herbs and spices onto a baking tray toss around that you have an even coating of oil and spices.
- Put the tray in the preheated oven and roast for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer the potatoes to a bowl and set aside.
- 2 large onions, peeled and sliced in rings
- 1 red and 1 yellow pepper, sliced (in rings or lengthways)
- olive oil
- 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp Provençale or Italian herb mix, 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Spread the veg out onto your tray with olive oil and spices
- In the oven with it ! For 15 minutes
- Set aside
Ingredients plus of course yer roasted veg
- olive oil
- 200 grs goats cheese, sliced
- 12 eggs
- splash of milk
- salt to taste
- a small bunch of coriander leaves
- Take your roasting tin with the baking paper and drizzle with olive oil
- Layer with potatoes, other veg and goats cheese
- Beat the eggs with the salt and milk. Add the chopped coriander leaves and pour over the veg.
- Place it in the hot oven for 30 minutes or until the eggs have set.
A great meat free meal it was too. And while the written down recipe seems long, it was ready in no time (except for the hour in the oven)
If you don't like goats cheese, use another cheese.
If you don't like cheese, don't use any.
If you don't like coriander, use parsley or nothing of the sort.
If you don't like eggs, tough luck !
If any of my friends in the area want some free eggs, come and get some. I'm not going to start a delivery service. Capiche ?