If only you had made my Asian Flavoured Bread and Butter Pickle then this recipe would be a doddle. I used the vinegary brine as a base for the dressing for this salad, along with some of the pickled cucumbers, onions and chilli.
Never mind, you can still make a lovely dressing from scratch.
- small clove of garlic, peeled and crushed or grated
- 1 cm piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- a dash of soy sauce
- Put all ingredients into a jar with lid. Shake it, shake it, shake it ! Ready !
The duck breast
- 1 duck breast
- 1 heaped tsp Chinese 5-spice
- Score the skin and rub the breast all over with salt and the 5-spice
- Place it skin side down in a cold pan and fry over medium heat for about 6 minutes
- Turn over and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes
- Take it out of the pan and let it rest for 10
- Slice the breast meat in thin slices.
You can use many variations of vegetables for such a salad. The choice is yours.
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- my pickled cucumber (you can use fresh cucumber and slice in fine batons)
- 200 grs (or thereabouts) beansprouts. You can use them raw or slightly blanched.
- a piece of both red and green pepper, sliced in thin batons.
- red or green chilli (to taste), sliced in rings at an angle
- a handful of cooked rice noodles (cooled)
- 1 or 2 spring onions, sliced at an angle
- coriander leaves
- Put all the ingredients (except the coriander) into a bowl and mix it well with the dressing.
- Leave to stand for at least 15 minutes.
- I arranged some lettuce leaves on a plate before spooning on some of the salad.
- Add the sliced duck breast.
- Sprinkle with some coriander and drizzle with sweet chilli sauce (if you have it)
Thinly sliced white cabbage and radishes would be a great addition too.
This recipe is enough for 2 servings as a lunch or dinner even. You can easily adapt the quantities to your needs.
I was on my own when I made this - Bert was away (haha !). The next day I served myself the second portion like this :
Have a good weekend all !