- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped into large-ish pieces
- 1 parsnip, peeled and chopped into large-ish pieces
- 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and you know what to do
- 2 cm piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped or grated
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 3 shavings of lemon zest
- 1/2 chilli, strength to taste, sliced, seeds removed or not
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Ras el hanout spice mix
- 3 cardamom pods, squashed
- 1 tin of peeled tomatoes, roughly chopped up
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- seasoning (salt and pepper to taste)
- a squirt of harissa if you have it and like it hot, baby
- a sprinkle of the omnipresent coriander leaves
- Heat olive oil in a pan, add the first 12 ingredients. I am so sorry that I cook from scratch, scratch, scratch.
- Sautee on a low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add a splash of water and cover with lid. Don't burn it. Add more water if needed.
- Let it simmer for another 5 minutes. Then add the tomatoes and half a tin of water.
- 15 minutes, covered with lid.
- Add the red pepper and the cinnamon and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Season and add a squirt of harissa if you like.
- Serve with plain couscous and sprinkle with green angel confetti aka coriander leaves.
Thanks for looking in.