Ingredients - yield +/- 2.8 ltr
- 1.5 kg cucumbers, weight after washing, seeds removed and cut into batons (+/- 6 cm)
- 2 large onions, peeled and sliced - red or white
- 3 red chillies, sliced lengthways, leave the seeds in for extra kick
- many, many garlic cloves, from one bulb. unpeeled
- 4 tbsp sea salt
- 2 stalks of lemongrass, squashed (to release the essential oils) and cut into 6 cm pieces
- a substantial piece of ginger, sliced
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp black pepper corns
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 5 kaffir lime leaves (dried or fresh)
- 1 ltr white distilled vinegar
- 1 kg soft brown sugar
- Put the cucumber, onions, garlic and chillies in a non corrosive bowl with salt. Mix well and set aside overnight, covered with a clean tea towel.
- Next day, drain the liquid that gathered at the bottom and rinse the vegetables under cold running water.
- Taste a piece of cucumber. If it is too salty, cover with cold water and soak for 10 minutes. Drain.
- In the meantime, bring the vinegar, sugar and spices to the boil. Cook for 10 minutes
- Add the drained vegetables and bring back to boiling point. Take off the heat.
- Scoop into sterilized jars while hot and seal.
That's it. I'm all pickled out.