La Chatte Gitane (or The Gypsy Cat) was the name we chose for our cottage in France at the time. We chose it while on the road, moving house the first time round, from Ireland to France with 2 dogs and 7 cats in the car.
This blog began its insignificant life as a recipe book for friends and family who would ask me repeatedly for a recipe of this, that and the other.
Since then it has taken many different directions, like we did and like gypsies tend to do. Sometimes making a U-turn and revisiting familiar roads and taking a break when necessary.
You'll find recipes here, but also musings about the places we've called home, the gardens that we've established, not always successfully, the homes we've improved and the environments we've lived in. Currently, after yet another stint in Ireland, we're back in France @ Le Mas d'Ayen

Monday, November 02, 2015

Halloween Come and Gone

Years ago I might have gotten excited about Jack-o-Lanterns and pumpkins by the door, but that time is well and truly over. We enjoy some quiet time after a busy summer, cocooning, reflecting.

After a Saturday of some frantic and gruelling cleaning of kitchen and sitting room, together with my friend B, I felt that the little voice in my head finally stopped niggling me. I had let the cleaning slide somewhat and in the end it seemed what could only be described as an Herculean task.
Oh, how nice it is to have a clean and tidy home (well, not all of it is, but you get me). I made pissaladière for supper. I even tidied up as I went along during the cooking process. Yee-ha!

I had to wait a while though, before I could plonk myself down on the sofa with a slice of my pissaladière, because Friday night the twenty something son of our friends phoned and asked if I could paint his face the next day for a Halloween party he was going to attend. "I haven't painted faces for nigh on 20 years !"  says I. "Ah you'll be grand" says he. "I don't have any face paint anymore."  No problemo, he was bringing that with him. He knew what he wanted.  I told him to bring a picture and "don't forget your face!"
So, there I was on Halloween night painting a face, or better still, a skull.


Cool dude. Just don't tell him that he is now being used as a subject for this blog post. (wink)

Sunday morning I lounged around in my pj's for some time, just enjoying the cleanliness of our living quarters and the sun shining through the clean kitchen windows.
.

I even ventured outside in my pj's to capture the village with mountains in the background, still enrobed in a blanket of cloud.


I was just in time getting dressed when some of our friends arrived for a cuppa. So great !
We also got a visit from our hopefully soon to be neighbours. New to this area and still anticipating their successful purchase of a house near us, they came to say hi.

When they had all departed, we gathered ourselves together, picked the last four (okay, maybe 5 or 6) sweetpeas, grabbed some homemade preserves and took off to another friend who had her birthday.
Another cuppa, some lovely cakey dessert and  more chatter.

It all made for a very feelgood weekend.

I hope your weekend was everything you were aiming for, be it a relaxing one, a productive one or a spooky one.  So which one did you have ?

Thanks for popping in.
Patricia xxx...x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...