La Chatte Gitane (or The Gypsy Cat) was the name we chose for our cottage in France at the time. We chose it while on the road, moving house the first time round, from Ireland to France with 2 dogs and 7 cats in the car.
This blog began its insignificant life as a recipe book for friends and family who would ask me repeatedly for a recipe of this, that and the other.
Since then it has taken many different directions, like we did and like gypsies tend to do. Sometimes making a U-turn and revisiting familiar roads and taking a break when necessary.
You'll find recipes here, but also musings about the places we've called home, the gardens that we've established, not always successfully, the homes we've improved and the environments we've lived in. Currently, after yet another stint in Ireland, we're back in France @ Le Mas d'Ayen

Thursday, August 04, 2011

I See Red !


What's more, I can see a chilli chutney coming on.

If you have patience, I will get back to you with a recipe.

I didn't polish up the peppers and chillies, don't they look lovely. I could hug my greenhouse, so happy am I with it's produce.

Patricia xxx...x

10 comments:

  1. Our chillies are slowly turning red, too. A chutney recipe would be very welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll get it sorted (hopefully) before they have coloured completely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! They seem to glow! A chutney recipe would be lovely. But why don't you also try making a spicy Thai chilli and garlic condiment - great in soups and stirfries!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel, have you got a recipe for this condiment. I'll gladly try it with the next load of chillies.
    I thought of chilli chutney, coz I like chutneys so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristof is going to try this recipe, unless you have a better one ...
    450g (1 lb) chillies
    4 tbsp cumin
    2 tbsp tumeric
    3 tbsp brown sugar
    1 tsp salt
    30g (1 oz) grated fresh ginger
    200ml (1/4 pint) groundnut oil
    200ml (1/4 pint) white wine vinegar

    Combine all ingredients except the sugar and vinegar in a pan and fry gently for 15 minutes.
    Add sugar and vinegar, cover and boil for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
    Pot up into hot jars and seal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Myriam, thank you. I made the chutney, but with the kitchen being in upheaval and my camera being lost in the clutter, I didn't write the recipe down.

    I used 10 large Spanish chillies, 10 medium tomatoes, 2 medium onions, 2 capsicums (sweet peppers) red, 2 cloves of garlic, 500ml cider vinegar, 300 grs sugar, about 2 heaped tbsp garam massala, 2 tbsp mustard seeds.
    I sauteed the onions first, with the garlic in a little sunflower oil and then added the rest, chopped.

    Oh, I also added some of my apple 'cheese'. It's very firm apple jelly that we made while still living in France.
    I usually add some apples to chutney, but didn't have any in the house, hence the apple jelly.

    The recipe that Kristof will use is just as good, if not better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your chillies are beautiful! Some of ours are just turning red. I have a recipe for a chilli/tomato chutney on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No chutney here. Kristof made liters and liters of arrabiata sauce. For pasta parties with friends ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Arrabbiata is great too. As long as you get good use out of the veggie patch, all is good. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chilli chutney? Yessss, please! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...