I used homegrown leeks, the size of spring onions, but that didn't take away from the taste.
ingredients for the leeks and sauce. (serves 2)
- 6 of the finest leeks (or 2 of a normal size)
- 30 gr butter
- 100 ml chicken stock
- 1 or 2 tbsp capers
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Seasoning : salt,black pepper and nutmeg
- Clean the leeks and slice in rings
- Sautee in a little of the butter
- Add the chicken stock and simmer for another minute or so.
- Scoop the leeks out of the stock (or drain them in a colander)
- Reduce te stock a bit more
- Add the lemon juice and capers.
- Take it off the heat and stirr in the rest of the cold butter, bit by bit.
- Add seasoning to taste
For the fish
- Use cod or other white fish filets from a sustainable source (+/-200 gr per person
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- Vegetable oil (I used Olive oil) and yet another knob of butter.
- Dry the fish thoroughly and coat with the flour.
- Season with salt and pepper
- In a pan heat the oil with the butter.
- Pan fry the fish for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side,depending on the thickness.
Scoop some mashed potatoes on your plate
Arrange the fish on top (that is something my husband will never understand)
The leeks (that you kept warm) can also be arranged in a delicate manner (or not)
Scoop some (a lot) of the sauce over the fish and let it drip onto the leeks.
Finish off with a good few turns of the pepper mill.
Let the taste buds tingle