La Chatte Gitane (or The Gypsy Cat) was the name we chose for our cottage in France at the time. We chose it while on the road, moving house the first time round, from Ireland to France with 2 dogs and 7 cats in the car.
This blog began its insignificant life as a recipe book for friends and family who would ask me repeatedly for a recipe of this, that and the other.
Since then it has taken many different directions, like we did and like gypsies tend to do. Sometimes making a U-turn and revisiting familiar roads and taking a break when necessary.
You'll find recipes here, but also musings about the places we've called home, the gardens that we've established, not always successfully, the homes we've improved and the environments we've lived in. Currently, after yet another stint in Ireland, we're back in France @ Le Mas d'Ayen

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Strawberries, Strawberries ! Fresh Organic Strawberries !

Still not tempted ? Then scroll down and look at the amount of fresh yummyness I picked today.


We started off last year with 10 strawberry plants that my mother brought with her from Belgium. Now the whole raised bed is covered and more. I must admit that they are getting a bit crowded and in late summer I need to find another place for them in the garden that will give them more space so that the fruits can enjoy the full sun and develop even more flavour.








I think I know what we will be having for dessert tonight.
Strawberries and cream.... or , I still have some gulab jamun (Indian dessert) and we could eat them with that.... or, vanilla icecream and strawberries.....or, ..........





8 comments:

  1. Hi - what a wonderful strawberry patch! We picked our first strawberry (variety: Gariguette) a week ago but since then the weather has been so cold and wet (understatement!!!!) that the half-ripe berries on their soggy nest of straw look a bit sad.
    Lovely to see a glimpe of the sun on your blog.

    C (another fan of Freddie and his GBVC)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:22 pm

    What beautiful looking strawberries. I'm a friend of Freidel and Andrew's and found my way here through their biking page. I just did a piece on Strawberries on my own blog and posted a lovely Strawberry Shorcake recipe if you are interested. I love your recipes. You're really lucky to live in such a beautiful place! I'll be back again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Patricia, long time no write, are you holidaying? Love ya strawberries, what a time of the year for the beautiful red things eh!?!

    All the best
    David

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks David for leaving a comment on my blog. No, I'm not on holidays. I'm working (hard), seeing to holiday guests, cooking for them, working in the garden and doing house work. It doesn't leave me much time to write in my blog. I just don't know how you do it, Superman ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Marie,
    Thanks for your comment. I will definitly try your strawberry shortcake reipe.
    It is lovely here, only we've had a very wet spring. The farmers haven't been able to harvest the hay. It looks very dire at the moment. On the other hand, we have no need to water the veggie garden daily.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patricia it's been so long! I hope you and Bert are doing very well. Hopefully I'll be able to make it back some day, emily and I haev such great memories. I'm still in Mali and i have a small garden complete with mint, one pineapple plant, and sunflowers. Next year I hope to expand my garden. I put a link to your blog on mine. I want to make your elderflower champagne but elderflower does not exist here, so i'm looking for a good substitute. miss u and take care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:07 am

    You know, we have been tasting strawberries all across Europe since we left the Ardeche and none taste as good as yours!! We miss your little piece of paradise. How are the choooks?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous11:17 am

    I am SO tempted. Beautiful photographs of beautiful strawberries...
    Are they a particular variety ?
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...