Yes, I am the biggest fan of British cooking and here is the recipe for my chicken pie, covered with yet again, mashed potatoes.
Normally, it would be topped off with pastry (flaky, shortcrust or puff), but I didn't fancy making any, due to many other jobs that needed doing about the house.
Ingredients This was plenty for at least 4 portions
- 3 chicken filets
- 2 ltr organic chicken stock
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped into large chunks
- Florets of 1/2 brocolli and 1/3 cauliflower
- Frozen peas, 200 grs
- Butter 100 grs
- Flour 100 grs
- Tarragon, 1 tbsp
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- Seasoning to taste (salt, black pepper and nutmeg)
- Put the chicken filets in a pan and cover with stock.
- Bring to the boil and cook for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat and simmer for another 8 minutes.
- Take them out with slotted spoon and set aside.
- Bring the remaining stock back to the boil and add the carrots, cook al dente, drain and repeat with the cauliflower and brocolli.
- Cut the chicken in chunks of 2 cm, arrange in an oven proof dish.
- Add the vegetables and lastly the still frozen peas.
- The stock will be used for the sauce. At this point, while it is still hot, add the tarragon to the liquid.
- In a pan, melt the butter and stirr in the flour.
- Add part of the stock and reduce heat. Keep stirring to prevent lumps.
- Keep adding the stock and if the sauce gets too thick, you could add some extra milk or water.
- Bring to bubbling point for at least one minute and keep on stirrrrring.
- Stirr in the sourcream, season to taste.
- Distribute over the chicken and vegetables.
- After it has cooled down slightly, top off with a layer of mashed potatoes.
- Bake in the oven ( preheated 200 ° C) for 35 to 40 minutes approx.