Anyway, there are as many recipes for chilli con carne as there are for ragu bolognese and here is mine.
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne or chilli powder
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, pounded
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 bell peppers (mixed colours)
- 1 large Habanero pepper (if you want more heat, use more. I have to take into account a person that goes all red in the face with the slightest bit of piquancy)
- 3 tbsp tomato puree (concentrated variety)
- 1 liter of good quality beef stock
- Sunflower oil
- Kidney beans 2 tins of 400 gr each approx. (I used dried ones, soaked overnight in cold water and cooked for about 1,5 hour - 300 gr dried beans)
- Sweetcorn 1 tin ( optional, it doesn't really add to the flavour, but gives extra texture and colour)
- Dark chocolate 50 gr
- Seasoning : salt and a pich of sugar to taste.
- In your Dutch Oven (or any cast iron contraption with lid that works on the hob as well as in the oven) heat the sunflower oil and brown the meat.
- Take the meat out and set aside.
- Sautee the peeled and roughly chopped onions, garlic and finely chopped habanero in some oil.
- Add the meat, all the spices and tomato paste.
- Cook out the tomato paste for a couple of minutes.
- Pour in the stock and bring to a simmer.
- Put the lid on and put it in a preheated oven 200 °C
- After 1 hour turn the heat back to 170°C and cook for an extra hour.
- Take it from the oven and carefully take off the lid (HOT, HOT, HOT)
- You can check on the tenderness of the meat and if it falls apart into shreds you are on the right track.
- At this point you can add the roughly chopped peppers and the beans.