Opening a packet of smoked trout is easy, but great to accompaniment my roast vegetable stack.
For the vegetable stack I used meager pickings from the fridge and garden. Therefore the quantities of the veg I used may sound odd. You might want to use different quantities, so I'll give you the calories per 100 grs of each ingredient.
You'll need a ramequin or a chef's ring, but you can use any bowl that can stand the heat of the oven.
serves 1 - 219 calories
- 103 grs fennel - the bulb variety (36 cal/100 grs)
- 54 grs courgette (30 cal/100 grs)
- 47 grs aubergine (24 cal/100 grs)
- 38 grs red pepper (48 cal/100 grs)
- 100 grs tomato (16 cal/100 grs)
- 50 grs ricotta (165 cal/100 grs)
- 45 grs spinach (24 cal/100 grs)
- 1 tsp olive oil ( or spray) (33 cal/tsp)
- seasoning, sea salt and black pepper
- a smidgin of nutmeg
- 1 tsp horseradish (if you happen to have some lurking from the deapths of your fridge. I hadn't so didn't use it)
- Wilt the spinach and blend or chop fine.
- Mix it with the ricotta, nutmeg, salt, black pepper and horseradish (optional)
- Set aside (easy)
- Slice the vegetables in rings (or something that would fit your ramequin/chef's ring) - half a cm tick (or thereabouts)
- Heat your griddle pan on the hob (alternatively roast in the oven)
- Brush the vegetables with the oil. You'd be surprised how far the oil stretches if you use a brush for this.
- Griddle all the veg, bar the tomatoes, on both sides.
- Preheat you oven to 180°C
- Take a baking sheet and line it with baking paper.
- Put your rings on top and start filling it with layers of each vegetable.
- In between every 3rd layer or so, spread out a spoon of the riccota mixture.
- Start with the courgette and end with a spoon of ricotta before topping with a colourful slice of tomato. If using a ramequin or bowl you put the tomato at the bottom and courgette at the top.
- Press down firmly and bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Once out of the oven, leave to set for 5 minutes. Get your plates ready, arrange the trout and capers, if that's what you're having it with.
- Slide a spatula under the vegetable rings and transfer to the plate. Slide of the ring and voilà !
- If you used ramequins, you'll have to turn it over onto the plate. Should be easy enough.
I ate it with 125 grs of smoked trout - 155 cal.
A great fast day meal.